Hello, sweet friends, and welcome to "tile week" here on the blog! Tiling was probably the project I was looking forward to most in this space... do you remember what our old backsplash looked like? Allow me to refresh your memory:
So much fruit. Eeek. Thankfully it doesn't look like that anymore!
Tiling a backsplash is one of those jobs that is totally possible to DIY, but it can also be somewhat tricky, so we thought we'd take a few posts to walk through the tiling process in detail in hopes that it will be helpful to others who are tackling their own backsplash tile! First up, my personal favorite part: picking out that beautiful tile!
Do you know how many different kinds of tile there are out there?! SO MANY KINDS. Woah. At first I felt completely overwhelmed at how many there were to choose from-- tons of gorgeous options! So before I even started looking at individual types of tile, I did what I usually do when I have to make a major decorating decision: I studied. I popped over to Pinterest and started looking at kitchen after kitchen, checking out the backsplash in each one and making a note of which types stood out to me. In the end, I narrowed it down to three categories of tile that I liked.
The darker tiles stood out to me because they added a touch of drama to their kitchens. They're a little moodier and definitely command attention in the room. Here are a few of the darker tile choices that caught my eye:
1. Endeavors Glass & Stone Random Mosaic Wall Tile- This one isn't super dark, but I liked the combination of the different types of tiles together.
2. Stone Radiance Glacier Gray Marble Random Tumbled Stone & Glass Mosaic Tile- Again, I liked the variance in the different shades of gray in this one as well as the horizontal tiles.
3. Metallica Brushed Stainless Steel Penny Rounds Glass & Metal Mosaic Tile- This penny tile stopped me in my tracks when I first saw it! I LOVED the shape and shimmer of this one, and hello drama!
4. London Glass Mosaic Mesh Mounted Tile- I liked the combination of tiny tiles in this option, plus it had slight hints of aqua all the way through, which is always a hit with me! 🙂
And speaking of aqua...
If you've been following this blog for very long, you know that I love anything and everything aqua! I couldn't help but include some aqua options when I was narrowing down my list of tile choices!
5. Modern Dimensions Spa Ceramic Tile- I liked the color of this one and that it was kind of an elongated subway tile.
6. Color Wave Blue Lagoon Glass Tile- This one felt more modern to me with the stacked tile, and I loved the shimmer of the glass.
7. Color Wave Whisper Green Glass Tile- Again, I just thought the beautiful color of this one would make a great statement in the kitchen. To me it felt kind of calm and serene, and I loved that.
8. Caprice Glass Interlocking Wall Mosaic Tile- I found myself being drawn to this interlocking look over and over again-- so pretty!
The third and final category I found myself drawn to as I was looking through Pinterest for kitchen inspiration was light tile. There's just something so breathtaking about a light and bright kitchen, and I kept pinning one after another!
9. Marble Contempo White Honed Stone Tile- Marble. Need I say more? 😉 I was totally swooning over this one-- those gray veins running through the white are perfection.
10. Rittenhouse Glazed Tile, White- Can't go wrong with classic white subway tile! It looks beautiful with light or dark grout!
11. Caprice Glass Interlocking Wall Mosaic Tile- There's that interlocking tile again! This is the same tile as my aqua choice, just in a different color, and they're both gorgeous.
12. Carrara White Hexagon Polished Mosaic Tile- Another marble option, this hexagon tile is a total showstopper. I love the combination of gray and white and may or may not have drooled on my keyboard a little when I was looking at it. 😉
When it came time to make our final choice, the decision came down to how I wanted our overall kitchen to "feel" when we walked in. Some of the words I had used to describe my dream kitchen were "light, bright, airy, and clean," and after looking at my favorites over and over, I knew which one would give us that look we were going for.
So... Can you guess which one we chose? If you've been following along with the kitchen reno progress, you may have already seen a sneak peek...
The hexagon marble! I can't lie. When I came home on the day that Donnie started tiling and walked into the kitchen, I shrieked. Loudly. Out of pure joy and giddiness. It wasn't even done, and I was already in love! I may have considered sleeping on the kitchen counter that night so I could be close to it. Okay maybe not, but it's gorgeousness totally blew me away! To see how the finished tile turned out, pop over to our other "tile week" posts:
If you are in the market for tile, I could not recommend build.com more highly! Their selection is incredible, shipping was SO fast, and their service is truly top notch. Pop over to their site and let me know if there are any other options you would add to my list of favorites! I could stare at pretty tile all day! Have a wonderful week!!